Susan Jolliffe Napier. Modern Japan's repressed anxieties, fears and hopes come to the surface in the fantastic. A close analysis of fantasy fiction, film and comics reveals the ambivalence felt by many Japanese towards the success story of the nation in the twentieth century.
The fantastic in modern Japanese literature: the subversion of modernity
It takes in the nightmarish future depicted in the animated film masterpiece, Akira, and the pastoral dream worlds created by Japan's Nobel Prize winning author Oe Kenzaburo. A wide range of fantasists, many discussed here in English for the first time, form the basis for a ground-breaking analysis of utopias, dystopias, the disturbing relationship between women, sexuality and modernity, and the role of the alien in the fantastic.
- Our Old Haruki Murakami and the Experience of Teaching his Works in Japan;
- Napier – The Fantastic in Modern Japanese Literature – Academic Androids!
- MediaWiki Administrators’ Tutorial Guide. Install, manage, and customize your MediaWiki installation?
- Cultural Dimensions of Expatriate Life in Singapore.
- Navigation menu.
Utvalgte sider Tittelside. Innhold Introduction.
Woman found Encounters with supernatural women in prewar Japanese fantasy. Hardback 1. Description of this Book This text argues that modern Japan's repressed anxieties, fears and hopes come to the surface in the fantastic. Napier's writing is, as always, compact and sophisticated without being at all ponderous. Her active disregard for boundaries between so-called high- and pop-culture forms is refreshing and exhilerating Finally, this book is a major contribution to modern literary and cultural studies in its attention to the alternative, subversive visions of society constituted by the fantastic..
Our Old Haruki Murakami and the Experience of Teaching his Works in Japan | SpringerLink
Author's Bio There is no author biography for this title. This preview is indicative only. The content shown may differ from the edition of this book sold on Wheelers. My Account Sign in Register. Out of Print. Pre-release title.
On Special. Firm Sale.
Internationally Sourced. In your basket.
- Privatization and Capital Market Development: Strategies to Promote Economic Growth.
- Newspaper Writings -- Part II (Collected Works of John Stuart Mill - Vol. 23).
- Susan J. Napier.
- New Title FUHHGEDDABOUTIT! The book that will help you stop worrying about your memory - and Alzheimers?